Thursday 22 October 2009

Film is Not Dead - Park City UT...and on to San Diego.


It has been an absolute whirlwind since the workshop wrapped and I have not had much free time of anything. I just wrapped doing a 2 day shoot for XanGo (shot on Wed/Thurs images finished by Sat ON FILM). But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and wanted to post this image I shot at the workshop on day 1.

This is not a "polaroid". This is FujiFilm FP-3000B. FujiFilm actually has a variety of instant films (remember all those INSTAX I posted?) Brian Greenberg, of Richard Photo Lab, brought this camera and it blew my mind. The camera was actually an old polaroid camera with a modified 4x5 lens on the front and it obviously shoots instant film. So, so rad.

A BIG thank you to Richard Photo Lab in LA who is seriously the best lab on the planet. Brian Greenberg, one of the owners, flew out for the workshop. And with him, he brought his wedding which I shot back in Sept. Now mind you, this was UNEDITED. He had proofs sheets and a set of all the proofs. I was really nervous to show this to anyone as I don't show UNEDITED images. Now to say that, means, when I edit, I mean delete images that are not in focus, or missed moments etc. There is some editing to my images in photoshop but it is to correct for anything done in the scanning or for dust. No actions, no magic. The magic happens in camera. But the great thing about him bringing this to the workshop was that it really reiterated the point I was talking about so much, that images look great STRAIGHT OUT OF CAMERA when shot on film. I was totally blown away. The prints were vibrant and alive and it made me miss the days of getting actual prints instead of just files on the computer. Prints ALWAYS look better than any file on a compter, ALWAYS.

And one of the most important reasons these images looked great straight out of camera is because of FujiFilm. FujiFilm Pro 400H, FujiFilm 800Z, Neopan 1600, you name it, these films are responsible for the look I create. They are developed in FujiHunt chemistry and then scanned on a Fuji Frontier which is really responsible for the "look" of the images. I even shot some film on my Fuji GX680 camera so some of these images I'll get back are Fuji from start to finish :). I can not say enough good things about their film stocks. I'll let the images speak for themselves.

I also want to thank my attendees who made this workshop very life-changing in many levels. It was a great group of people who checked all egos at the door and created an amazing learning environment. A big thank you also goes out to all the models (9 sets!) who came and endured some crazy Heber UT weather! I can't wait to show you all these images! And a big thank you to Bryan Johnson, who came all the way out from Birmingham to be there. I can't wait for next month when I'll be at his workshop.

And a HUGE thank you to our other sponsors FINAO, who provides the amazing book that houses the workshop workbook. And to Instaproofs, for not only changing how I do business, but for having some of the best customer service known to man.

Film is Not Dead is now making its way to sunny San Diego July 19th-21st 2010. The website will get another overhaul and the official announcement (live website) will be coming soon. If you are interested in attending, just drop me an email.

Until then, let's keep film alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment